Quick Specs :::Creator(s): Originative
Price Range: $70+
Build Options: Kit, Built
Switch Compatability: MX
Key Stagger: Standard
Lighting Options: Underglow, In Switch LEDs
Programmability: Fully Programmable, QMK, Online Configurator
Availability: Stock, Group Buy
First Appearance: First group buy was listed on KBDist.com in early 2016
Where to Buy
- $89: TADA68 DIY Kit - KBDFans.cn
- $99-$161: TADA68 Built w/ Optional Aluminum Case - KBDFans.cn
- $94-$205: TADA68 Built w/ Optional Aluminum Case & choice of Gateron/Cherry/Zealio switch - KBDFans AliExpres Shop
- $60: TADA68 - Taobao.com - NOTE: Ordering from Taobao takes some learning as it is a Chinese site for selling goods to mainland China.
- $130-$150: Saber68 - KBDist.com w/ Gateron or MOD brand switches
- $119: Saber68 Aluminum Case - Originative.co
Build Guides / Albums
- Photo from /u/-Mateo- on Reddit
- Photos from /u/phatskin on Reddit
- Photos from /u/dro524 on Reddit
How to Program
Note: You can program the TADA68/Saber68 with QMK or the Online Configurator
- Program via QMK with the branch here.
- Online Configurator available here, follow the instructions below on how to use it and how to flash your board:
NOTE: rename layout to "flash.bin" before putting it on the keyboard.
Create layout using online editor here: http://18.104.22.168:3000/tada68
- If you’re using Google Chrome, just right-click on that page and hit “Translate to English”.
- Click the key you want to change, then click the function you want to map.
- One hiccup: I went to set CapsLock as a Fn key, and it brought up another sub-menu, and that wasn’t translated to English. I picked the second option, then chose layer 1, and that seemed to work. If you’re mapping multiple layers or want to do stranger things, godspeed.
- Once you’re done with your mappings, hit that big green “Compiler” button. It’ll take a second to load & then it'll prompt to save a file called FLASH.BIN. Not sure if renaming it is bad or not. But save it and it’ll download to your default download folder.
Time to program the keyboard
- Press button on the bottom of the board; if you turn it over, it’s on the right side, or under the left side if the board’s right-side up. This will cause the backlights to start flashing.
- NOTE: THE KEYBOARD IS UNUSABLE AT THIS POINT.
- You may have noticed that when you pushed the button, a new drive will have connected to your PC; that’s the TADA68’s storage. If you open it, there’s a FLASH.BIN file in there.
- Create a copy of the original FLASH.BIN file and store on your computer so you’ll always have it just in case.
- Once copied, Delete the file from TADA68’s storage.
- Find your FLASH.BIN file that you downloaded and copy it.
- Paste your new FLASH.BIN file in the TADA68's storage.
- NOTE: If you just try to paste over it, you’ll get a warning that there isn’t enough space for the file operation. You have to delete it first.
- Press the ESC key; this will restart the TADA68 (literally takes a second), and your new mappings should be live.
See? Very simple, but the included instructions weren’t sufficient. Hopefully that gets fixed eventually.
NOTE: The LED Up and LED Dn will just cycle throught the LED modes.
LED Lighting Modes:
- Breathe slow
- Breathe med
- Breathe fast
- Breathe really fast
- Off + Breathe while typing
- Low + Breathe while typing
- Med + Breathe while typing
- High + Breathe while typing
In order from top to bottom, the fn drop down menu options are:
- No Operation
- Momentary Press
- Open / On
- Closed / Off
- Momentary AND Press
- Combination Key
- Tap Modifier Key
- Toggle Modifier Key
- Here are some premade layouts (.bin files) you can download and flash on your keyboard. Dropbox Link.
- Here is a Windows 10 Guide for QMK for the TADA68 - Reddit Post
Mods & Addons
- Add a USB Hub in the plastic case by /u/koduh
- Convert your ANSI keyboard into an ISO version, the PCB supports it, you just have to modify your plate or order one 2nd hand.
- A new variant of TADA recently released called the "Snow" or White version that has an all white plastic case and Future type face keycaps
- Keycap Sizes Chart